Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Need = Foundation = Love ?

I know my daughter Olive Mae looks like a little boy in this photo but that isn't what caught my attention. And I know there is an absolutely hilarious look on her face but that wasn't it either.

What first came to my mind was how dumb and helpless she looks. For the most part she isn't that smart, don't get me wrong, she has the potential to be a genius and I am sure she will be very intelligent. As of right now though, she is running off of instinct. Sleeping when she is tired. Waking when she is hungry. Crying when she is hurt or frustrated. Laughing when she is happy. She isn't trying to figure out why she needs me or why her poop smells.

Her actions and interaction with and towards people around her are rooted in her emotions, not a clear concise use of her mind. Her parents love it! We're certainly not dissapointed that she isn't carrying on sentences that distract from their deeper meaning. We simply love the fact that she needs us, has faith in us, and possibly unknowing to herself, loves us.

This sparked some questions in my life:

If we are supposed to become like children in reference to faith, do I need to look like Olive does in this picture? Is my mere intelligence bombarding the foundation of my humanness? Do I need to confess my frailty, shut my mouth, and simply need God?

2 comments:

Bryce Perica said...

Great picture. Good thoughts too.

Erik Haagenson said...

I often wonder if our own intellect seems to God like Olive's does to her parents.